• Spanish
  • Polish
  • Arabic
  • Hebrew
Marilyn Orbach-Rosenberg
Call for a Consultation
Handset 718.440.9002

Immigrant Visa and Green Card Attorney in New York City and Queens

Orbach-Rosenberg Law helps immigrants to New York City and their families obtain a Green Card and lawful permanent residence, allowing them to live and work on a permanent basis in the United States, with the successful petition for an immigrant visa.

What is the difference between an Immigrant Visa and a Non-Immigrant Visa?

A non-immigrant visa is temporary and is only granted for a specific period of time, such as a year or three years. Once the visa has expired, the non-immigrant visa holder must apply for an extension, if applicable, or leave the country or face deportation. An immigrant visa, on the other hand, gives the individual the right to live and work permanently in the U.S. The holder of an immigrant visa, also known as a Green Card, is considered a lawful permanent resident and assumes many of the privileges of a U.S. citizen, including the right to vote in U.S. elections and the ability to travel abroad and return to the United States without any concern that reentry to the country will be denied.

What types of immigrant visas are there?

Immigrant visas for the most part fall into two broad categories: family-based and employment-based. Family-based immigration visas include immediate relative petitions for spouses, minor children, children who are grown but unmarried, parents and siblings. Fiancé(e) visas also fall under the category of family-based immigrant visas.

Immigrant visas for employment are mostly found in five major categories of employment-based preferences, from EB-1 to EB-5. The highest preference is for workers of extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational executives. However, even unskilled workers may be brought over under an EB-3 visa and allowed to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis. Other employment-based immigration categories include people with advanced degrees or exceptional ability, skilled workers and professionals, certain special immigrants, and holders of national interest waivers. There is also a Schedule A list of workers which the Department of Labor has determined there is a shortage of, including registered nurses and physical therapists.

Immigrant Visas for Special Immigrants

Besides family-based and employment-based visas, there are several special adjustment programs that allow certain individuals to obtain a Green Card and permanent residence. Special immigrants include certain religious workers, broadcasters, juvenile court dependents, persons who supported U.S. armed forces abroad as translators or informants, or individuals born to a foreign diplomat in the U.S.

Get Your Green Card with the Help of an Able and Experienced New York City Immigration Lawyer

Immigrant visas are limited in number, and many people every year find themselves locked out of the country with no visa available. Increase your chances for success by enlisting the aid of a qualified, experienced immigration attorney who can help you through the entire visa application process, including any appeals that may be necessary. In New York City, contact Orbach Rosenberg Law for assistance.

Designed and Powered by NextClient

© 2014 - 2018 Orbach-Rosenberg Law. All rights reserved.
Custom WebShop™ law firm website design by