• Spanish
  • Polish
  • Arabic
  • Hebrew
Marilyn Orbach-Rosenberg
Call for a Consultation
Handset 718.440.9002

Non-Immigrant Visa Attorney in New York City and Queens

At Orbach Rosenberg Law, we understand that not everybody seeking entry into America wants to stay here forever. Visitors to the country are welcome for brief stays, from days or weeks to months or even years. However, even if only coming to the U.S. on a temporary basis, you must still apply for an appropriate visa in order to enter and stay in the United States legally. From our New York City immigration law office, we help people identify the appropriate visa for their circumstances and understand the process they will need to follow in order to be issued a visa successfully. We help people obtain temporary non-immigrant visas for a variety of reasons, including:

  • work
  • tourism
  • study
  • medical treatment
  • business

F-1 Student Visas

If you are only planning on a short visit for a brief recreational course of study, then a visitor (B) visa will suffice. However, for an extended stay involving a longer course of study, you will need to obtain either an F-1 or M-1 student visa. An F-1 visa will allow you to enter the country to attend a private elementary school, high school, college or university, seminary, conservatory, or other academic institution, such as a language training program. An M-1 Visa is more appropriate for a vocational school or other recognized nonacademic institution.

For either an F-1 or M-1 Visa, you must apply to and be accepted by a school which is approved for the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to enter you in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Once accepted, you will be provided with an I-90 which you can present to the U.S. embassy or consulate during your visa interview.

L-1 Intra-company Transferee Employees

If you are an employee of an international company who is being transferred from a foreign office to a domestic office in the U.S., an L-1 visa is likely the appropriate choice for you. An L-1 Visa can be applied for you individually, or by the company for its workers if certain conditions are met. You can stay for up to one year on an L-1 visa if brought in to set up a new branch office in the U.S., or for up to three years if being transferred to an existing office.

O-1 Individuals of Extraordinary Ability

The O-1 Visa is a special type of visa for athletes, entertainers, scientists and others who are considered to be individuals of extraordinary ability or achievement. Such individuals who are deemed to be leaders in their field can be granted a stay up to three years, with one-year extensions available for as long as they are needed. Assistants may also travel to the U.S. on an O-2 Visa, when they are necessary to help the O-1 Visa holder succeed.

Other Non-Immigrant Visas

Other non-immigrant visas that are available include B-1 Visas for business, B-2 Visas for tourism, E-1 and E-2 Visas for investors, and TN or NAFTA Visas for Mexican and Canadian professional workers.

Can my family travel to the U.S. with me?

For most of the visas described, a related visa will allow the immediate family of the primary visa holder to immigrate as well for the same period.

What if after I am here I want to stay in the U.S. permanently?

U.S. immigration law does provide a process to change your status from temporary (nonimmigrant) to permanent (immigrant). This process is known as an adjustment of status. Through an adjustment of status proceeding, you will be able to obtain a Green Card and lawful permanent residence without having to return to your home country for processing.

With Orbach Rosenberg Law, a New York City immigration attorney can help you through the adjustment of status process by determining the appropriate immigrant category for you, which may be family-based or employment-based or some other means such as asylum, temporary protected status or humanitarian parole. We can help you file your adjustment of status petition and immigrant petition and help you gather all necessary documentation and prepare for your interview.

Get Help with Your Non-Immigrant Visa from an Experienced New York City Immigration Attorney

For help in obtaining a B-1 or B-2 visitor visa, F-1 student visa or other temporary, non-immigrant visa, or for assistance changing your temporary into lawful permanent residence and a Green Card through an adjustment of status, contact Orbach Rosenberg Law for advice and assistance from an experienced New York City immigration lawyer.

Designed and Powered by NextClient

© 2014 - 2018 Orbach-Rosenberg Law. All rights reserved.
Custom WebShop™ law firm website design by